About the Program
A collaboration of the Graduate Division and the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarships, the SURF SMART Program enables doctoral students to provide mentored research opportunities for undergraduate students at UC Berkeley. This program is designed to broaden the professional development of doctoral students and to foster research skills and paths to advanced studies for undergraduates.
SURF SMART 2021 Program
Graduate mentors who work under the guidance of a faculty adviser will each receive a stipend of $5,000 for their participation in this ten-week program. Each undergraduate mentee will receive a stipend in the amount of $5,000 for their participation. In addition, graduate students receive training in mentoring through a spring semester seminar, Effective Mentoring in Higher Education (GSPDP 301), offered by the Graduate Division.
Graduate mentors will
- Develop skills in mentoring undergraduates in research;
- Receive research assistance at a crucial time in their progress toward degree completion; and
- Become more competitive in the academic or professional job market.
Undergraduate mentees will
- Develop expertise in discipline-specific research methods;
- Gain exposure to advanced research to assist them in choosing their future career paths; and
- Become more competitive candidates for admission into graduate programs.
Graduate Student Stipend = $5,000
Undergraduate Student Stipend = $5,000
For graduate student questions about the SURF SMART Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Sessions for Graduate Students Will be Held On:
Monday, November 23, 2020, 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Wednesday, December 2, 2020, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
Graduate students should use this SURF SMART Information Session Sign-up Form to receive a Zoom link.