This program has done more to enhance my college experience than anything I have participated in so far. I can honestly say that the SMART Program has given me a new direction in my life and provided me with the knowledge and confidence to pursue a graduate degree.
2012 undergraduate mentee
May 25 – August 3, 2018
Student Mentoring and Research Teams (SMART) is a summer program designed to encourage graduate student professional development and foster undergraduate research through mentoring. Each graduate student participant will receive a summer stipend ranging from $1,000 to $5,000; each undergraduate participant will receive a summer stipend in the amount of $3,500 for approximately 200 hours of work. (Undergraduate students should note that this stipend may affect the amount of financial aid they are eligible to receive in summer 2018.)
Undergraduate Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to apply for this program, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a UC Berkeley undergraduate student who is currently pursuing a UC Berkeley undergraduate degree. (Please note that visiting students are not eligible to apply).
- You must be in good academic standing at the time of application.
- Undergraduate students from any UC Berkeley academic department or program are eligible to apply; students who have not yet declared their majors are also eligible to apply. Students who graduated in December 2017 or will graduate in May 2018 are not eligible to apply.
- If you applied in the past and were not selected to be a SMART mentee, you are welcome to apply again. Former SMART mentees are not eligible to apply.
SMART Program Requirements
In addition to conducting research for approximately 200 hours, undergraduate student mentees will be required to attend all of the following SMART 2018 meetings:
- Friday, May 25, 2018, 1-4 p.m.: SMART Program Kickoff
- Friday, June 1, 2018, 1-3 p.m.: Applying to Graduate School
- Friday, June 15, 2018, 1-3 p.m.: Meeting of the Mentees
- Friday, June 22, 2018, 1-3 p.m.: SMART Lunch
- Friday, July 6, 2018, 1-3 p.m.: Applying for Grants/Fellowships
- Friday, July 13, 2018, 1-3 p.m.: Workshop on Presenting Your Research at the Closing Reception
- Friday, July 20, 2018, 1-3 p.m.: Academic and Professional Writing
- Friday, August 3, 2018, 3-5 p.m.: SMART Closing Reception and Research Presentations
Undergraduate Application Requirements
To complete the application, you will be asked to submit the following items:
- an application essay; and
- a current resume or curriculum vitae.
More detailed information about the application essay is included in the application form.
To apply to be a SMART 2018 undergraduate mentee, please go to the SMART 2018 Undergraduate Application at https://tango.berkeley.edu/applicant/app/start. On the Select Program Page, select “SMART Undergraduate Mentee Application Positions Spring 2018.”
For a list of the SMART 2018 Graduate Mentor Research Projects, please go to the SMART 2018 Graduate Mentor Research Project Descriptions.
Application Deadline: Thursday, March 1, 2018, 11:59 p.m. (PST).
Informational Meetings for SMART Undergraduate Mentee Applicants
Informational meetings for SMART undergraduate mentee applicants will be held on the following dates in spring 2018:
Thursday, February 8, 2018 from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m., 309 Sproul Hall;
Wednesday, February 14, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., 309 Sproul Hall; and
Monday, February 26, 2018 from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m., 309 Sproul Hall.