The undergraduate mentee application and schedule for informational meetings for undergraduate applicants to SMART 2018 will be posted on the SMART website in early February 2018.
The undergraduate mentee application for SMART 2018 will be due February 23, 2018.
Information from last year’s SMART 2017 program is included below for your reference.
This program has done more to enhance my college experience than anything I have participated in so far. I can honestly say that the SMART Program has given me a new direction in my life and provided me with the knowledge and confidence to pursue a graduate degree.
2012 undergraduate mentee
Student Mentoring and Research Teams (SMART) is a summer program designed to encourage graduate student professional development and foster undergraduate research through mentoring. Each graduate student participant will receive a summer stipend ranging from $1,000 to $5,000; each undergraduate participant will receive a summer stipend in the amount of $3,500 for approximately 200 hours of work. (Undergraduate students should note that this stipend may affect the amount of financial aid they are eligible to receive in summer 2017.)
Undergraduate Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to apply for this program, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a UC Berkeley undergraduate student in good academic standing at the time of application.
- Undergraduate students from any UC Berkeley campus department or program are eligible to apply; freshmen and sophomores who have not yet declared their majors are also eligible to apply. Seniors who will graduate in December 2016 or May 2017 are not eligible to apply.
- If you applied in the past and were not selected to be a SMART mentee, you are welcome to apply again. Former SMART mentees are not eligible to apply.
SMART Program Requirements
Undergraduate student mentees will be required to attend all of the following SMART 2017 meetings:
- Friday, May 26, 2017, 1-4 p.m.: SMART Program Kickoff
- Friday, June 2, 2017, 1-3 p.m.: Applying to Graduate School
- Friday, June 16, 2017, 1-3 p.m.: Meeting of the Mentees
- Friday, June 23, 2017, 1-3 p.m.: SMART Lunch
- Friday, July 7, 2017, 1-3 p.m.: Applying for Grants/Fellowships: Fulbright-IIE Grants and National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowships
- Friday, July 14, 2017, 1-3 p.m.: Workshop on Presenting Your Research at the Closing Reception
- Friday, July 21, 2017, 1-3 p.m.: Academic and Professional Writing
- Friday, August 4, 2017, 3-5 p.m.: SMART Closing Reception & Research Presentations
SMART Application Requirements
To complete the application, you will be asked to submit the following items:
- an application essay; and
- a current resume or curriculum vitae.
More detailed information about the application essay will be included in the application form.